Re: Biblical Hebrew (Was: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels)

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 13:20:17 EDT

    John Hudson scripsit:

    > What if the request to change the Hebrew combining classes came *from* W3C
    > and/or IETF? I'm not saying that this is likely, but I'm wondering whether
    > they might, in fact, not insist on stability for characters for which
    > normalisation is currently broken anyway?

    The normalization is not broken from the point of view of the "stability
    community". They consider it more important that there be a fixed rule,
    than what the content of the rule is. Google for "stare decisis" for
    much more on this point of view in general.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "If I have seen farther than others, it is because I am surrounded by dwarves."