RE: SPAM: About combining classes

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 13:41:38 EDT

    Jony Rosenne wrote on 06/27/2003 08:32:11 AM:

    > I am under the impression that the existing scientific encodings of the
    > Bible are encode with the help of some kind of mark up, and maybe this
    is
    > how they should continue.

    The existing eBHS texts use an encoding in which the order of characters
    is significant (there are no notions like canonical ordering and canonical
    combining classes), and several positioning distinctions (including three
    different meteg-vowel positionings) are represented using distinct
    characters.

    Newer projects are using XML, but for things markup is suitable for.
    Suggesting that things like vowel-vowel or meteg-vowel orderings be
    handled by markup does not provide a solution for scores of users, such as
    publishers needing to typset the text, content providers trying to deliver
    content using common web browsers, seminary professors creating lessons
    and students writing papers...

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485