Re: The character for 10**24 in Japanese numbers (jo)

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 22:22:42 EDT

    Benjamin,

    Thanks very much for this. I saw the character choices on the page that Ben
    Monroe was suggesting as well as the ones I had seen eleswhere.
    I don't read Japanese but I can make out enough to recognize now that there is
    not going to be a single right answer and I probably should just provide some
    alternatives. Or maybe truncate the table at lower values and write another
    web page on writing numbers in Japanese some day...

    thanks everyone. I'll update the page again tomorrow.
    btw, I had already changed the page from 8a72 to 5973. I'll have to change it
    to reflect both.

    tex

    Benjamin Peterson wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:39:48 -0400, "Tex Texin" <tex@i18nguy.com> said:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > When writing out Japanese numbers a different character is used for every
    > > unit
    > > that is a power of 10,000:
    > > man oku chou kei gai jo jou ...
    > >
    > > Apparently JIS didn't have a character for jo. It looks something like
    > > the
    > > pair: U+79BE U+4E88.
    >
    > The original chinese character for 10**24 consisted of U+79be on the left
    > (i.e. bushu 115, 'nogi') and U+5e02 on the right. In Japanese, the right
    > hand part seems to have changed into a U+4e88, although there are three
    > other rare variants. The U+5e02/U+4e88 character is not in JIS, a
    > distinction shared by many useful kanji.
    >
    > > (I am trying to correct the table at
    > > http://www.XenCraft.com/resources/multi-currency.html#ja-count )
    >
    > I don't really know anything about this, but... the character given in
    > this table for 10**20 (U+8a72), although it is often used for 10**20,
    > should really be a U+5793, shouldn't it? The left hand side was
    > originally 0x961c (i.e. left side B radical). I think U+5793 should at
    > least be offered as an alternative; they seem to occur about equally
    > often in google.
    >
    > This page collects together the sets of number kanji from various
    > classical texts:
    >
    > http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fxba0016/misc/suumei/shiryou.html
    >
    > ...and this one lists 'jo' variants...
    >
    > http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fxba0016/misc/suumei/suumei.html