Re: Conversion of MySQL

From: Edward H Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 12:33:10 EDT

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Steve Vernon wrote:

    > Hiya!
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if I should send to a MySQL
    > list, or this one ( I didn't want to cross post), so sorry if not
    > applicable. If this is not ok to ask in this group, can someone tell me
    > please!
    >
    > Because from what I understand, MySQL supports unicode, but various
    > features including ordering are not fully implemented which the website
    > my company is developing needs. The website will be launched soon, and I
    > believe the version of MySQL with the full Unicode support will not be
    > available in time.
    >
    > Therefore I am going live with Western European encoding, which will
    > suffice for the moment.

    Why bother? If it were me, I would start out right from the beginning with
    a UTF-8 encoding of your data. Then you will NEVER have to bother with
    converting the data at some later point in time.

    You also won't have to bother about converting the code that generates the
    web pages: you can just set the code up from the very beginning to
    generate web pages encoded using UTF-8 (<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="text/html; charset=utf-8">). This way, any static text in your
    web pages also gets encoded in UTF-8 from the very beginning. Using UTF-8
    for everything (i.e., both data and code) from the very beginning should
    be the easiest way to do it by far.

    What OS platform(s) are you dealing with? What scripting language(s) are
    you planning to use? Email me if you want to discuss this more thoroughly
    off this list.