Re: French group separators, was Re: The character for 10**24 inJapanese numbers (jo)

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 16:34:40 EDT

    Tex Texin posted on my indication that only U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE and
    U+202F NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE are available in Unicode for a
    digit-grouping space in numbers:

    > Jim, Why do you leave out U+2007 figure space?

    U+2007 FIGURE SPACE is also a non-breaking space.

    But Philip Verdy claimed (and I agree) that the digit grouping space in
    numbers should (in a proportional font) be "less wide" than a digit.

    U+2007 is by definition the same width as a digit (in a font where there
    is a set of Latin digits with a common width). It represents a space
    used in hard-type technology for leading spaces for numbers in columns
    (sometimes along with U+2008 PUNCTUATION SPACE) to enable right
    justification of numbers in such columns.

    Jim Allan