Re: French group separators

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 18:08:46 EDT

    > It is worth noting that what is described here is the default running mode of
    > Emacs for the English locale. There are a lot more "modes" on Emacs to
    > handle various languages (including programming languages).

    Of course. But without two spaces you have greater ambiguity, at least in
    English: In "Mr. Roberts", what is the function of the period?

      Don't call me Mr. Roberts is my name.

      Don't call me Mr. Roberts is my name.

    The first one seems to be nonsense. The second one is clear and EMACS
    correctly identifies two sentences; "M-X transpose-sentences" gives:

      Roberts is my name. Don't call me Mr.

    - Frank