Re: [OT] When is a character a currency sign?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 20:34:54 EDT

    On Tuesday, July 08, 2003 12:57 AM, Stefan Persson <alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se> wrote:

    > Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > > "XEU" (the past European Currency Unit replaced by the Euro in a
    > > different area of countries excluding GB and DK,
    >
    > Also excluding SE.

    Sorry, I should have named it. But has ever Sweden (and Finland which joined at the Euro birth) been part of the E.C.U. "basket" which allowed computing XEU before the Euro got its own direct quotation including Greece 6 months later?

    With the Euro, a lot of currency units lost their symbol:

    - the Spanish Peseta symbol
    - the Pound symbol in Ireland (but still used in UK)
    - the Greek Drachme symbol (or is it really only a currency symbol or an alternate form of the Delta?)
    - the Italian Lira symbol (or is it really only a currency symbol?)
    - the "French Franc" symbol is now used only for the CFP Franc (XFP) in French overseas in the Pacific, with a fixed rate guaranteed by France against the euro (mostly New Caledonia, and Tahiti with other archipels of French Polynesia), Western Africa for the CFA Franc (XAF and XOF) also guaranteed by France and two African banks against the Euro, and Switzerland & Liechtenstein with the Swiss Franc (CHF), but I doubt it is used there...

    Note: my old mechanical typewriter (built in 1957) with its French keyboard has never printed the "French Franc" symbol with the "representative glyph" shown in the charts. The most common glyph was a narrow form of the "Fr" abbreviation with both letters not forming any ligature, but with the "r" kerned below the medial horizontal bar of the "F", and it is on the top-left key where is now the superscript two digit on French computer keyboards.

    -- Philippe.