Re: French group separators, was Re: The character for 10**24 i nJapanesenumbers (jo)

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 02:27:49 EDT

    At 05:09 PM 7/8/03 -0400, you wrote:
    >Even if this were done, I wonder if most software would understand U+2007
    >or other non-breaking spaces as spaces for the purpose of
    >full-justification or right-justification and hide them when they would
    >otherwise appear at column right position.

    Such usage would be a higher level protocol. The general plain text model
    for Unicode assumes that any extra space needed for justification is added
    by the renderer by expanding inter-word and inter-letter spaces.

    The various spaces in the 2000 block are intended to be used for the
    purpose of providing fixed amounts of space, something that's needed for
    special purposes, such as separating parts of a mathematical formula by a
    specific amount of space, when the location for the space is floating with
    the text.

    One of the narrow spaces can be used in math for a space that's ordinarily
    a bit narrow, but can be expanded, if that's needed. See for example the
    TeXBook for a description of the use of this and the fixed width spaces.
    ZWSP can be expanded in Thai-style letter spacing.

    Other than that, none of the spaces should be construed for special
    behaviors under justification.

    A./