Re: [Private Use Area] Audio Description, Subtitle, Signing

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 15:02:01 EDT

    At 10:34 -0700 2003-07-14, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >On 14/07/2003 09:04, Doug Ewell wrote:
    >
    >>* Michael Everson's and Roozbeh Pournader's provisional PUA assignments
    >>for ARABIC PASHTO ZWARAKAY and AFGHANI SIGN, two legitimate characters
    >>that cannot be represented in Unicode by any other means.
    >>
    >Why not, may I ask, as a newcomer to this list? Is there some
    >technical reason, or a political one?

    What do you mean? The ZWARAKAY is a new combining mark; the AFGHANI
    SIGN is a unique currency symbol. Neither is yet encoded. In the
    report, Computer Locale Requirements for Afghanistan, it is
    recommended to use a PUA character until such time as the encoding
    process has run its course.

    I would not recommend using COMBINING MACRON for the ZWARAKAY, and I
    don't know what could be recommended for the AFGHANI SIGN that is
    already encoded, apart from writing out the word.