Re: Combining diacriticals and Cyrillic

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 08:58:32 EDT

    On 15/07/2003 05:22, William Overington wrote:

    >I feel that an important thing to remember is the dividing line between what
    >is in Unicode and what is in particular advanced format font technology
    >solutions which some other organizations supply. ...

    Absolutely. And we need to remember the distinction between Unicode and
    eutocode. Presumably it is OK to use PUA characters within eutocode and
    with fonts specially designed for eutocode. But the details of this are
    an internal matter for eutocode and not for this list.

    >... Those advanced font format
    >technologies may be very good, I do not know as I have no experience of
    >using them, yet they are not suitable for platforms such as Windows 95 and
    >Windows 98, ...

    If you are referring here to Uniscribe, in fact it is available on and
    suitable for Windows 98, I think also 95, and is installed when Internet
    Explorer is upgraded on these systems. Even the latest versions which
    support complex accentuation of Latin and Cyrillic work on these
    systems, though I am not sure how they will be distributed.

    An alternative advanced technology, Graphite, from SIL (see
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&cat_id=RenderingGraphite
    is supported on Windows 98 and later.

    --
    Peter Kirk