Re: Aramaic, Samaritan, Phoenician

From: Thomas M. Widmann (thomas@widmann.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 15:17:28 EDT

    John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> writes:

    > I'd like someone whose native script is Hebrew to comment on mutual
    > intelligibility, which was the main criterion for separating
    > Glagolitic from Cyrillic.

    But if that criterion is applied, surely Georgian Xucuri/Khutsuri
    should be separated from Georgian Mxedruli/Mkhedruli: Although there
    roughly is a one-to-one correspondence between the two, and although
    both are generally applied to the same language (though normally to
    different stages of it), they definitely are not mutually intelligible
    (and in fact knowledge of Xucuri seems to be quite low in Georgia).

    /Thomas

    --
    Thomas Widmann, MA      +44  141 419 9872       Glasgow, Scotland, EU
    thomas@widmann.uklinux.net             http://www.widmann.uklinux.net