Re: Aramaic, Samaritan, Phoenician

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 16:21:25 EDT

    On 2003.07.15, 17:39, Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    > It is still common e.g. on road signs in Germany today to see capital
    > I represented, in a sans-serif script, by a glyph looking more like J.
    > Confusing at first, but at least it is distinct from small L. I'm not
    > sure if there are actually separate I and J glyphs in such a script.

    Usually, "J" has a long "tail", extending below the baseline (like "Q",
    cyrillic "D" and "C" etc, and so many lower case letters). This kind of
    "J"s, as we all know, are two be found also in fonts with more regular
    "I"s, and not all sans serif fonts.

    > In Italian the distinction is still not clear, I understand, and the
    > same town name can be spelled as Iesi or Jesi.

    Hm, an Italian should perhaps pop in now, but I though that in italian
    the difference is clear: "j" is semi-vowel while "i" is vowel. It may
    not be evident in many cases, depending on stress and dialect, though.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin, | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |