Re: [OT] French Government Bans the Term 'E-Mail'

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 10:59:06 EDT

    ----- Message d'origine -----
    De: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>

    > At 19:56 -0400 2003-07-20, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >
    > >Obviously, the AP has found someone to say it is artificial.
    >
    > Of course, all language is artificial.

    Well, at least all new words that can be traced to someone can be so «
    described ».

    But one has the impression that this accusation is most often heard in
    France (not in Québec), I also wonder if anybody in the US said to the
    inventor of email or any new word : this is artificial. It seems somewhat
    nonsensical or at least tautological for any newly coined word.

    P. A.