Re: [OT] French Government Bans the Term 'E-Mail'

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 14:16:29 EDT

    On Monday, July 21, 2003 7:16 PM, Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie> wrote:

    > > eBook, e-mail, eBay, e-money, and all that gunk.
    > > I suppose we could do without them. Even Apple's
    > > gone weird about it. I don't know what the "i" in
    > > the iLifestyle suite (iChat, iPhoto, iBook,
    > > iThis, iThat) means.
    >
    > e-jit, iDiot, iMbecile.

    Is it still a newgroup to discuss about the correct way to write a
    language? I thought that Unicode members had more consideration
    for the correct spelling and pronunciation of languages, and thought
    it was important to preserve the cultural heritage and accuracy of
    their transcription. Would Unicode turn into Unilang? Thanks then
    we do not need Unicode to write English... Why not returning then
    to the good old age of ISO646 (IA5)?

    I'm not sure that even all English users appreciate the computer
    related jargon and acronyms that their geek developers want to
    force them to learn and use. Technical jargons exist in all humane
    activity, but when this technology is now widely spread to target
    "normal" users (even commercially) why such a word would have
    to ignore more general linguistic communities? You don't need to
    be a PhD in Computer Sciences to use a computer. Now the
    email technology is so common that it can merit a common name
    using the normal phonetic, orthographic, semantical, lexical or
    grammatic rules of a normal social language.

    --
    Philippe.
    Spams non tolérés: tout message non sollicité sera