Re: [OT] French Government Bans the Term 'E-Mail'

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 03:42:53 EDT

    Pim Blokland <pblokland at planet dot nl> wrote:

    >> I'm not sure that even all English users appreciate the computer
    >> related jargon and acronyms that their geek developers want to
    >> force them to learn and use.
    >
    > Hm... Personally I feel just the opposite. I think the computer
    > industry has taken too many normal words and forced new meanings
    > upon them. Words like program, compiler, desktop, window, folder,
    > mouse, &c., all have been cast into new roles; all were once
    > unambiguous, but nowadays they need more clarification if their
    > meaning is not clear from the context.

    I suspect it's been centuries since "program" had only one unambiguous
    meaning. And I doubt many people are confused between the "compiler" of
    an encyclopedia or anthology and a high-level language "compiler." But
    hmm, "language"... there's a word whose overloading has certainly caused
    some confusion.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/