Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 18:15:13 EDT

    On 23/07/2003 14:18, Mark Davis wrote:

    >Peter,
    >
    >This all depends on whether the UTC approves, at the upcoming meeting
    >in August, the proposal to extend the use of CGJ to allow for
    >inclusion within sequences of combining marks in order to prevent
    >reordering of those marks.
    >
    >Of course, it could be used right now for that purpose, in the sense
    >that it would have that effect, and there is nothing in TUS that would
    >prevent its usage. But, as you point out, it would be far better if
    >the semantics of the character were explicitly extended so that it was
    >clear to people that this is a recommended usage.
    >
    >Mark
    >__________________________________
    >http://www.macchiato.com
    >► “Eppur si muove” ◄

    Understood. I would certainly hope for an explicit UTC decision to
    support this use of CGJ. My point in much of what I have been writing
    today is that this use of CGJ is not some kind of abuse of a character
    for a totally inappropriate purpose, but a specific use of it in line
    with its existing generally intended use and implemented by default in
    systems which follow the Unicode recommendations.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com