Re: Hebrew hataf vowels (was: About CGJ)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 14:17:08 EDT

    At 11:10 AM 7/24/2003, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >Thanks for the clarification. I hope that at some time soon these things
    >will be recorded in a proper document, for Unicode and not just for a
    >particular font. Otherwise I foresee chaos as one font does what you say,
    >another does not ligate by default but expects ZWJ when the ligature is
    >required, yet another expects CGJ, etc etc, so we end up in the state
    >where each encoded text can only be viewed with the one font it is
    >tailored for. Actually I don't need to foresee this, it is happening
    >already, as there is already one Hebrew Bible text available which
    >displays properly only with Ezra SIL, another which requires FrankRuehl,
    >and another which has a different preference. We need to put an end to
    >this kind of situation as soon as possible.

    The approach I've taken in the SBL Hebrew font is based on extensions to
    the current Microsoft Hebrew OpenType spec that Ralph Hancock worked out in
    his Unicode/OT versions of the SIL Biblical Hebrew fonts. Ralph and I
    corresponded a lot and shared font sources along the way, and are feeding
    our solutions back to Microsoft so that their Hebrew spec can be updated.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit