Re: Hebrew hataf vowels (was: About CGJ)

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@freeler.nl)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 20:09:42 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com>
    To: "John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com>
    Cc: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 10:40 PM
    Subject: Re: Hebrew hataf vowels (was: About CGJ)

    > On 24/07/2003 12:18, John Hudson wrote:
    >
    > > At 11:46 AM 7/24/2003, Peter Kirk wrote:
    > >
    > >> One of the specific issues he brought up was this one: how do you
    > >> distinguish the holam-waw vowel combination from the consonant waw
    > >> followed by the vowel holam?...
    > >

    > > These are display issues, not encoding issues,...
    >
    > Not entirely. First I need to know what sequence of Unicode characters I
    > should use to encode holam-waw and aleph with right holam. Garbage in,
    > garbage out. Then I need to be sure that your sophisticated rendering
    > system actually makes the required distinctions and is not confused by
    > any rare cases.

    Aleph with right holam is not a plain text issue, and thusly not an unicode
    issue.

    A right holam on an aleph belongs between the aleph and the preceding
    consonant.

    As far as plain text goes it can be displayed:

    1. above the aleph, to the right.

    2. between the aleph and a preceding consonant above a space.

    3. above the preceding consonant, to the left.

    If you explicitly want 1. then you are talking about rich text.