Re: Hebrew hataf vowels (was: About CGJ)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 06:56:23 EDT

    On 24/07/2003 23:10, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >1. Vav Holam may convey two meanings, either just a vowel or a consonant Vav
    >with the vowel Holam.
    >
    >Some typographers differentiate these two meaning, many do not. I don't now
    >if there is any Masoretic basis for the distinction or if it is late, and
    >whether it is consistently used in those texts that do make the distinction.

    Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I am on a list
    including people who do. I will ask them.

    >This item has been discussed a few times, and the consensus was, at least in
    >the SII, that it is not an encoding issue but rather a typographic issue
    >that should not affect the encoding.

    What was the consensus in the SII on how the holam vav vowel should be
    encoded? And what is the normal practice in Israel and for pointed
    modern Hebrew? Is that holam encoded after the vav or before it?

    >2. The Holam on the right side of the Alef belongs to the Resh. There is no
    >encoding problem here.

    Agreed.

    --
    Peter Kirk