Re: Damn'd fools

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 10:27:30 EDT

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > Anyway, as a pedant I will tell you that the
    > Normans landed at Hastings, not Dover.

    As a meta-pedant, I will tell you that the Normans landed at Pevensey, not
    Hastings. The battle for the throne of England was fought between Hastings
    and (not unnaturally) Battle, where King Harold died.

    Had the Normans landed at Dover, they would still be trying to climb the
    cliffs against determined Saxon opposition, basically consisting of falling
    chunks of chalk.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths