Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Ted Hopp (ted@newslate.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 18:56:46 EDT

    On Monday, July 28, 2003 5:38 PM, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    > ... And it isn't that nobody
    > has longterm vision here, but when one of your goals is
    > longterm stability, you have to keep making shortterm decisions
    > which individually preserve that stability.

    The goal of the Maginot Line was longterm stability.

    You only HAVE to keep making such short-term decisions if longterm stability
    is your ONLY goal. For some of us, there are other, competing goals. It's a
    question of priorities, not right vs. wrong. That's why the community needs
    to look at the impacts of the various options on all stakeholders.

    Do I understand you correctly, Ken, that Sybase would rather have code
    versions that behave consistently but incorrectly (from a user's point of
    view) rather than inconsistent versions, the newer ones of which behave
    correctly? I can accept that such could be a company's business priority,
    but I just want to know if that's what you are saying.

    Also, I don't understand in what sense the normalization *algorithm* gets
    broken by changing combining classes. Could someone elaborate?

    Ted

    Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453

    newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
       ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/