Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 21:28:50 EDT

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > Well, except two countries, or more than two if you have been following
    > the "damn'd fools" thread. We British resisted Napoleon and we continue
    > to resist his innovations like the metric system, though we are being
    > forced to make a gradual change.

    By what I understand, the U.K. is far more metricated than the U.S.,
    where metrication is pretty much confined to wine and carbonated drinks,
    and the latter only in 1-liter and 2-liter quantities.

    > Napoleon managed to impose and are still uniform all the way from Calais
    > to Vladivostok (because even the Russians accepted his system for a
    > while), even traffic rules (drive on the right, give way to the right),
    > but are different in the UK.

    Yeah, you're still using the horseman-with-sword system rather than the
    cart-drover system.

    --
    "[T]he Unicode Standard does not encode         John Cowan
    idiosyncratic, personal, novel, or private      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan