RE: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Jony Rosenne (rosennej@qsm.co.il)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 02:37:00 EDT

    We had a discussion in the SII and the consensus was that we should object
    to:

    - any change or addition related to Hebrew that would invalidate existing
    Unicode data or require its modification or re-examination

    - any change or addition to Unicode that would make the use of Hebrew more
    complicated or confuse the common user

    - any change or addition to Unicode that would require a user of Hebrew to
    have a higher level of knowledge, e.g. to distinguish between items not
    commonly distinguished, for example the two meanings of Vav with Holam.

    - the suggestion to encode Biblical Hebrew separately is unacceptable.

    The requirements of professional and knowledgeable users, such as Biblical
    scholars, should not be allowed to impose upon everyday users who are not
    blessed with such a profound knowledge and understanding.

    Consequently, it was suggested that the several issues with Biblical Hebrew
    recently mentioned, and several more which were not, should be solved by
    means of markup, outside the scope of Unicode. This is how they have been
    addressed in many of the references given. This is our recommendation.

    Failing that, it was suggested that an existing Unicode character, such as
    ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE, be used for "invisible" Hebrew letters, in cases
    such as Yerushala(y)im.

    The third, and least favored, option is to add a special Unicode character
    to represent missing base characters such as the Yod in Yerushala(y)im.

    Jony