Re: Back to Hebrew, was OT:darn'd fools

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 15:23:49 EDT

    At 11:49 AM 7/29/2003, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >So, let me clarify. You are proposing that the order vav-holam be used for
    >the consonant vowel sequence, and that both vav-holam and holam-vav be
    >considered valid encodings for the vowel only version? OK I suppose if we
    >can somehow ensure that these are treated identically for collation,
    >searching etc (though we cannot of course make them canonically equivalent).

    I'm not proposing anything. I'm reporting what works and what does not work
    from a *rendering* perspective so that this can be taken into account as
    necessary. There are a number of different aspects to text processing, and
    there is often a tendency on the Unicode list to ignore those that don't
    relate directly to encoding or to speak of them only in very generalised
    terms ('you can do that with markup'). This was probably fine back when
    Unicode was not widely implemented, but now the standard is out there in
    the world interracting with all the other aspects of text processing as
    implemented by different systems and applications. I think it is a good
    idea to clarify, whenever possible, what the impact of potential solutions
    are on existing implementations.

    In this case, there are two encoding preferences with related display
    preferences. One preference preserves and displays a distinction, and one
    preference removes and hides a distinction. I prefer the former, and
    various contributors have explained why it is a good idea to preserve the
    distinction. Jony doesn't seem to be interested in the distinction. Fonts
    can cater to both, so it seems to me that the main impact is in comparing
    texts that preserve the distinction with those that don't.

    >An even more clever font would then have the option of detecting which
    >vav-holam sequences are actually the vowel and displaying accordingly,
    >thus meeting the objection that the visual display should depend on the
    >font etc rather than on the choice of otherwise equivalent encodings.

    Fonts don't get that clever.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit