RE: Back to Hebrew - Vav Holam

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:41:53 EDT

    Jony Rosenne wrote on 07/29/2003 03:21:08 PM:

    > The only thing established is that this artifact has been used in
    > several manuscripts, one of many similar artifacts, to aid the
    > understanding of the text. And the correct vehicle to convey such
    > artifacts is markup.

    You say this as if it's objective truth. Now, if I see Latin-script text
    with a diacritic comma above in some places but also a comma above and a
    little to the right, the correct vehicle to convey these "artifacts" is the
    pair of distinct characters, U+0313 COMBINING COMMA ABOVE and U+0315
    COMBINING COMMA ABOVE RIGHT. Apparently, in the case of Latin, it was not
    considered an objective truth that the correct vehicle is markup.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485