Re: Back to Hebrew -holem-waw vs waw-holem

From: Ted Hopp (ted@newslate.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 19:22:12 EDT

    On Tuesday, July 29, 2003 7:27 PM, Jony Rosenne wrote:
    > Fine, so we need a separate Unicode for each usage of gh in English.

    Absolutely. We already have 007C (VERTICAL LINE), 01C0 (LATIN LETTER DENTAL
    CLICK), 2223 (DIVIDES), and 2758 (LIGHT VERTICAL BAR).

    We also have 00C5 (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE and 212B (ANGSTROM
    SIGN).

    We also have a and e, and æ.

    We also have ... well, you get the idea.

    ghoti!

    It's not that each usage of the same letter should get its own code point.
    It's that vav with kholam khaser is NOT a kholam male. I'm not suggesting
    that there be separate code points for each use of vav.

    Ted

    Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453

    newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
       ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/