Re: From [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 15:24:36 EDT

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > Understood. But that is really what we have in the text. In the second
    > word we have consonant vav with vowel holam. In the first word we really
    > do have consonant dalet with vowel holam, and then a silent vav which
    > originated as a placeholder for a long vowel in an otherwise unvowelled
    > text. But the holam which really belongs with the dalet has become
    > shifted on to the right side of the silent vav as an orthographic
    > convention,

    So let me see if I understand this. In the second case we have a glyph
    consisting of a vav with an ordinary (left side) holam. In the second
    case, we have a bare dalet glyph followed by a vav with a right-side holam.
    That sounds to me like an argument for encoding a second holam character,
    strictly for right-side uses.

    > just as it is shifted on to a following silent alef -
    > something which no one here seems to have questioned, or suggested to be
    > too complex to implement, although the algorithm is identical.

    Is this case also a right-side holam?

    --
    If you have ever wondered if you are in hell,         John Cowan
    it has been said, then you are on a well-traveled     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan