Re: Hebrew Vav Holam

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 14:17:39 EDT

    On 31/07/2003 07:57, Ted Hopp wrote:

    >Peter, thanks for the example of a medial meteg from BHS. I have one text
    >that shows the same meteg (Lev. 21:10) to the right of the hataf patah, and
    >several that have no meteg at all, but none where I've been able to find a
    >medial or left meteg on a hataf vowel.
    >
    >I'm wondering: are there examples of individual texts where metegs on hataf
    >vowels vary in position? For instance, in BHS, which clearly uses a medial
    >meteg, does the meteg also appear at times on the right or the left of a
    >hataf vowel? I'm wondering if this isn't just a style issue that need not be
    >handled by Unicode at all.
    >
    >Ted

    Yes, there are variations in BHS from place to place here. Here are
    some statistics for the WTS BHS text which I got from Joan Wardell last
    year: /meteg/ occurs 78 times centred in a /hataf vowel/ (but never
    centred in /hataf patah/), six times to the left and twice to the right.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com