Re: Hebrew Vav Holam

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 16:17:17 EDT

    On 31/07/2003 12:39, Ted Hopp wrote:

    >... We'd also need to figure out how to handle creating a holam male
    >at the start of a line, surrounded by spaces, etc. We'd have to give up on
    >the possibility of writing one holam male after another in any simple way.
    >If it can be made to work under those conditions, it may be a viable
    >alternative.

    Good point, Ted. We do need a way to display holam male in isolation,
    although it is never normally word initial in Hebrew. Arguably we also
    need a way to display it with additional vowel points, for the divine
    name is sometimes written like that, see the attached which is scanned
    from BHS. So, although I tend to prefer the contextual lookup method, it
    is not without its problems. But perhaps we can get round this by saying
    that a sequence like holam - ZWJ - vav should always be taken as holam
    male, but holam - ZWNJ - vav should never be, whatever the contextual
    rules. But then even these sequences are illegal at the start of a word
    so we would need something different there.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com