Re: Hebrew Vav Holam

From: Ted Hopp (ted@newslate.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 16:52:34 EDT

    On Thursday, July 31, 2003 4:04 PM, John Cowan wrote:
    > Ted Hopp scripsit:
    > > I strongly prefer adding a holam male
    > > (base) character as opposed to adding a new combining mark.
    >
    > For what reasons?

    1. It corresponds to standard Hebrew grammar.
    2. It would be simple and easy to explain to users, edit, handle in
    keyboards, etc.
    3. A combining mark for holam male would be applicable to a vav and only to
    a vav. It seems needlessly complicated and arcane to create a combining mark
    for the sole purpose of creating exactly one sequence that uses it.
    4. A combining mark sequence would invite the creation of a new presentation
    form (or else changing the decomposition of FB4B).

    Ted

    Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453

    newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
       ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/