Re: Display of Isolated Nonspacing Marks (was Re: Questions on ZWNBS...)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 14:06:01 EDT

    On 06/08/2003 15:47, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >On Wednesday, August 06, 2003 11:48 PM, Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >

    >>OK, what kind of markup should I use, in any well-known markup
    >>language, to ensure that an isolated diacritic is centred in the
    >>space between the words before and after it?
    >>

    >In plain text, I think that this encoding:
    > ...endOfWord1, SPACE, SPACE, diacritic, SPACE,
    > startOfWord2...
    >is what you need, as it creates the following combining sequences:
    > <...endOfWord1>, <SPACE>, <SPACE, diacritic>, <SPACE>,
    > <startOfWord2...>

    Thank you, Philippe. This is where we started. But I noted that some
    current implementations render the space diacritic combination as a full
    width space with the diacritic not centred over it. I suggested that
    this was wrong, that the diacritic should be centred. Doug suggested I
    used markup outside the scope of Unicode.

    >Another similar case would be the use of a isolated nukta (which
    >normally modifies a following base character): the sequence
    ><nukta, SPACE> is a single combining sequence with a break
    >opportunity. So a sequence like <nukta, SPACE, acute accent>
    >would be unbreakable but would include a break opportunity at its
    >end, unless it is followed by a NBSP.
    >And the sequence <nukta, NBSP, acute accent> would also be
    >unbreakable either in the middle or on both ends.

    Tell me more about these nuktas which modify a FOLLOWING base character.
    This is just what I have been told is illegal, non-conformant or
    something. But if this is allowed for nuktas, why shouldn't it be
    allowed for Hebrew holam?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)