Re: UTF-8 and HTML import into MS Word 2000

From: Janusz S. Bień (jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 08:32:12 EDT

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 "Chris Pratley" <chrispr@Exchange.Microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Did you solve your problem?

    Yes and no :-)

    Yes, because the file appeared correct and its recipient is satisfied.

    No, because I still don't know what to do to display it correctly on
    my computer (a straightforward installation of Polish Windows 2000
    with Polish Office 2000, with support for Polish and some Oriental
    languages including Japanese).

    I tried some random experiments with font changing, but with no
    success.

    > I opened both of these documents into IE,
    > clicked the "Edit in Microsoft Word" button for each, and they imported
    > correctly, with the Japanese displaying fine.

    Which version of IE? I use version 5, I don't see such a button.

    I had to start Word and open the HTML file.

    > In the first test file, the last letter of your name at the bottom is
    > not correctly encoded in UTF-8 so it doesn't come through, but the rest
    > is fine. Is this the character you said was not displaying correctly?

    You're right, this is just my mistake.

    However there is a problem with rendering "n with acute" in the title
    "Pismo japońskie i komputery". Originally in LaTeX it is in small
    caps, by latex2html it is marked up as

    <DIV ALIGN="CENTER"><BIG CLASS="XLARGE"><BIG CLASS="XXLARGE">P<SMALL>ISMO ....</SMALL>

    </BIG></BIG></DIV>

    My Galeon 1.2.5 is also confused by it.

    Best regards

    Janusz