Re: ADO, SQL-Server and VB6

From: Marc (klists@saphor.de)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 11:05:03 EDT

    > I might be able to help.

    Great!

    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. How firmly have you tracked down the point at which this conversion
    > happens?

    I assume it happens when the array dbdata is filled. I insert here the
    VB 6 demo script:

    -------------
    Dim adoCon As ADODB.Connection
    Set adoCon = New ADODB.Connection
    adoCon.ConnectionString = "UnicodeSQL" 'The SQL-Server datasource
    adoCon.Open

    Set adoRS = adoCon.Execute("Select * from unicodetest")
    adoRS.MoveFirst
    dbdata = adoRS.GetRows() 'hole alle Spalten ab

    ---------

    The text entries in dbdata do not contain any non-CP1252-characters as
    they should.

    The corresponding python script is quite analogous:
    ----------------
    import win32com.client

    adoCon = win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Connection')
    adoCon.Open('UnicodeSQL')
    (adoRS, success) = adoCon.Execute('Select * from unicodetest')

    adoRS.MoveFirst()
    data = adoRS.GetRows()
    -------------------
    The entries in data contain the data as it is in the database (including
    all non-cp1252-characters)

    > 2. What is the datatype in the database? (text BLOB?, ntext BLOB? varchar?)

    The sample database which I created for this purpose has three fields of
    types:

    int, ntext and nvarchar

    The ntext and nvarchar fields contain identical data and behave
    identically.

    Best regards,

    Marc