RE: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Jon Hanna (jon@spin.ie)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 11:23:03 EDT

    > OK, it's safe, but it is a misuse of Unicode. As space plus combining
    > character is a unit in Unicode, it should be treated as a unit by higher
    > level protocols. If higher level protocols are allowed to do arbitrary
    > things within Unicode units, there is no end to the possible confusion.
    > See for example, from Unicode 4.0 chapter 3:
    >
    > C7 A process shall interpret a coded character representation according
    > to the character
    > semantics established by this standard, if that process does interpret
    > that coded character
    > representation.

    If this is not the case (I'm not entirely sure this bans what XML does with
    spaces) then all we would need is a change so that rather than a de facto
    ban on space+combining within names and nmtokens we would have an explicit
    ban on the same; then we'd all be happy, except possibly for some sadistic
    XML application designer that was planning on use that combination out of
    ill-will towards his or her colleagues.