Re: Breaking free from UNICODE

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 17:25:13 EDT

    Michael, See
    http://www.geneva2003.org/bamako2002/doc_html/languagesandinternet-en.html .
    The concern there was evidently about lack of precomposed characters, and
    the Consortium's decision not to add any more. Though as others have
    pointed out elsewhere, dynamic composition should address these needs.

    The real issue, and the reason that I mention last year's meeting in Bamako,
    is that it seems to indicate a need for more public relations / education
    concerning aspects of Unicode in various potential user communities. If
    Africa seriously invests in 8-bit fonts at this stage and engages in
    lobbying with Unicode for adding more precomposed characters (regardless of
    the merits or not of that case), it would seem to be a costly detour off the
    road to multilingual computing and internet across the continent. However,
    this is what has been called for and there is no answer from Unicode that I
    am aware of, although there was some discussion on the a12n-collaboration
    group.

    Since I'm on the topic ... The character data linked and assembled on the
    A12n page of the Bisharat site (http://www.bisharat.net/A12N) is in part an
    effort to inventory what is needed in terms of characters so that hopefully
    there can be more clarity through specificity in such discussions. My
    impression is that 1) the needs for composed (diacritical) characters are
    relatively limited anyway, 2) most of those are addressed in Unicode by
    existing precomposed characters, 3) they concern a limited number of
    languages probably concentrated in certain countries, and 4) many of the
    composed-character issues involve tone markings on vowels that may not be
    regularly used. So the needs may actually be relatively confined to certain
    languages and/or particular uses.

    If this is correct, then the issue - even accepting for a moment the
    argument in favor of adding precomposeds to the Unicode standard - does not
    seem that major to begin with. Which is to say, that common usage for most
    African languages across most of the continent may be satisfied by existing
    unicode characters without dynamic composition. So for what's left, I'd
    leave it to others to make the outreach with ACALAN (in particular among the
    participants in the Bamako prepcom) for dynamic composition.

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net