RE: Punctuation symbols for partial cuneiform characters

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 11:58:43 EDT

    Kent Karlson wrote:

    > Jim Allan wrote:
    >> One may note the common use of the greater-than and less-than signs as
    >
    >> angle brackets in many publications
    >
    > Just because < and > are in ASCII, the have been used as approximations.

    That was the origin of this practice.

    However the practice is found now in professional technical publishing
    as a matter of choice, for example in modern linguistics and in
    Backus-Naur notation where the more normal angle brackets are certainly
    available for use.

    >> including the Unicode standard. I
    >> don't think that necessitates coding separate characters.
    >
    > Yes, it does:
    > 27E8;MATHEMATICAL LEFT ANGLE BRACKET;Ps;0;ON;;;;;Y;;;;;
    > 27E9;MATHEMATICAL RIGHT ANGLE BRACKET;Pe;0;ON;;;;;Y;;;;;
    >
    > (Despite the name, you can use them outside of math expressions.)
    >
    > You also have the (mathematical):
    > 2991;LEFT ANGLE BRACKET WITH DOT;Ps;0;ON;;;;;Y;;;;;
    > 2992;RIGHT ANGLE BRACKET WITH DOT;Pe;0;ON;;;;;Y;;;;;
    >
    > But:
    > 3008;LEFT ANGLE BRACKET;Ps;0;ON;;;;;Y;OPENING ANGLE BRACKET;;;;
    > 3009;RIGHT ANGLE BRACKET;Pe;0;ON;;;;;Y;CLOSING ANGLE BRACKET;;;;
    > are for CJK use.

    I am quite aware that these are encoded. Angle brackets are also to be
    found in the well known and widely available Adobe symbol character set
    employed in various Symbol fonts and I have used them.

    But the GREATER-THAN and LESS-THAN signs sometimes continue to be used
    *by preference* for angle brackets even when angle bracket glyphs are
    available.

    For an example, from
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/Preface.pdf under *Sequences*:

    << A sequence of two or more code points may be represented by a
    comma-delimited list, set off by angle brackets. For this purpose angle
    brackets consist of U+003C LESS-THAN-SIGN and U+003E GREATER-THAN-SIGN.
    Spaces are optional after the comma, and U+ notation for the code point
    is also optional—for example, “<U+0061, U+0300>”. >>

    The common *deliberate* use of LESS-THAN and GREATER-THAN for angle
    brackets does not require that clones be encoded in Unicode for that use.

    Similarly the convention that I and some others use of sometimes
    indicating quoted text in email or on forums by "<<" and ">>" does not
    require any new encoding symbols in Unicode.

    Symbol characers often have multiple and inconsistant usage without
    ceasing to be the same characters.

    Jim Allan