Re: Klingon vs. Ogham

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 11:34:04 CST

At 09:07 AM 10/17/2003, wrote:

>How many users of Ogham are there? (An bhfuil foilseachán ar bith sa lá atá
>inniú ann clóbhuailte in Ogham?) Is there even one publication today that is
>printed in Ogham? Why does Ogham qualify for entry but not Klingon?
>
>It strikes me that the controversy about Klingon has more to do with it's
>fictional origins than number of users.

My understanding is that the decisive argument against encoding Klingon was
that the Klingon user community *do not use the script* and no one from
that community has actively sought to have the script encoded. Every
Klingon publication I've seen has been written in Latin transliteration,
not in the Klingon script.

The fact that Klingon is fictional is neither here nor there: the Tolkien
scripts are fictional, but there is an active effort to get them encoded by
people who have studied them and want to produce documents in them, i.e. by
a user community.

Ogham inscriptions are the subject of academic study by a user community
who want to produce documents that include Ogham text. I know this for a
fact because I've made fonts for them.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

I sometimes think that good readers are as singular,
and as awesome, as great authors themselves.
                                       - JL Borges