Re: New contribution N2676

From: Richard Peevers (rpeevers@uci.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 11:07:08 CST

Raymond,

Apropos 10186 G GREEK ARTABE SIGN

The identity of one glyph variant of 'zero' and one of 'artabe' raises an
interesting problem.

If you look at e.g. 'Siglae' in RE 2.2 (1923) 2279-2315 you'll see that
Bilabel lists 16 glyph variants for the Artabe. The most common variants are
the ones with a horizinal line (like a dash) with an arrangement of between
one and three dots around it, sometimes the dots are solid and sometimes
they are hollow circles.

For the 'Zero' there are, it seems to me, two main characters used for this:
one is identical to the letter omicron and the other is a circle (more or
less like an omicron) with a more or less elaborate bar over it. It's only
the second that we'd be looking to propose.

Now, unless Zero shares the same glyphic range as Artabe, I'm not sure that
they can be unified.

It seems to me that here we need two characters: 1) Artabe (horizontal line
surrounded by 1-3 dots/hollow circles) and 2) Zero (hollow circle with more
or less elaborate line above.

Richard

Richard Peevers

Research Associate