Re: UAX #29 beta update (text breaks): apostrophe ./. H

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 17:16:55 CST

On 27/10/2003 13:34, Philippe Verdy wrote:

>The proposed update to UAX#29 contains this text:
>
>Apostrophe is another tricky case. Usually considered part of one word ("can
>'t", "aujourd'hui") ...

>So in French we also have the additional word break rule:
>
> hyphens ÷ LatinLetterH
>
>This case is not documented...

This new rule also fails with the original case under consideration,
aujourd'hui. But then maybe it should fail, as this is presumably a
contraction of au jour de hui. So, unless we have other cases in French
of an apostrophe followed by a consonant other than h which should not
be taken as a word break, the best simple rule is to count apostrophe as
always a words break. Or maybe a better rule (for French, not Italian)
would relate to the number of letters in the word before the apostrophe,
which is always one in the word break examples cited.

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)