Re: [OT] Voiced velar fricative

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 03:46:39 EST

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:10:58AM -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
    > I need someone to think of a quick example, off the top of their head,
    > of a language (and example word) that uses the voiced velar fricative,
    > the voiced equivalent of the 'ch' in Scottish 'loch'. The IPA symbol
    > for this sound is [ɣ], or U+0263.
    >
    > The more commonly known the language, the better (i.e. no South American
    > languages with 200 speakers, please).

    Czech & Slovak, where it is an allophone of voiceless velar fricative,
    so the process of assimilation has to take part -
    grapheme "ch" is usually pronounced /x/, unless certain voiced
    consonants follow immediately - then it is indeed /ɣ/ (U+0263). Although
    I noticed that especially young people in Bratislava start to pronounce
    it as something similar to voiced _uvular_ fricative /ʁ/ (U+0281)

    | Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |