Re: ZWJ, ZWNJ, CGJ and combination

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 19:09:50 EST

    On 08/11/2003 15:52, Mark Davis wrote:

    > The UTC just approved a clarification of the base character
    > definition, as follows:

    Thank you, Mark. This clarification is useful.

    So I conclude that ZWJ and ZWNJ, General Category Cf, are not graphic
    characters and so neither base characters nor combining characters.
    Therefore, according to definition D17 (in TUS 4.0 section 3.6, I assume
    this has not been amended), these characters cannot form part of a
    combining character sequence. Therefore they cannot be appropriate for
    forming ligatures between combining characters within such a sequence.
    Is that correct?

    CGJ, however, has General Category Mn, and so is a combining character
    and can form part of a combining character sequence. But, according to
    section 15.2, "inserting a combining grapheme joiner between two
    characters should have no effect on their ligation or cursive joining
    behavior."

    So, is there any other mechanism for requesting ligation of combining
    characters within the same combining character sequence? If not, there
    is a need to propose such a mechanism, for Hebrew. I will post details
    to the Hebrew list.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)