RE: Hexadecimal digits?

From: Simon Butcher (pickle@alien.net.au)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 11:28:33 EST

    Hi Philippe,

    > > > http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2677
    > > > N2677
    > > > Proposal for six Hexadecimal digits
    > > > Ricardo Cancho Niemietz - individual contribution
    > > > 2003-10-21
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Could be interesting for processing, and I can see a reason
    > for keeping
    > > these unique from U+0041-U+0046 but ultimately I thought
    > the hex "byte
    > > picture" proposal would have been more useful.
    >
    > Why that? How will you represent hex sequences with variable number of
    > nibbles?
    > The purpose of this proposal is to make those extra characters really
    > numeric and not letters, with only a compatibility equivalence (not a
    > canonical one) with ASCII letters to which they ressemble.
    <snip>

    Of course, and I agree with you entirely when you're dealing with an arbitrary number of nibbles, and I support this proposal for the same reasons you do.

    However personally, when dealing with a octet, or an arbitrary number of octets, I believe the byte-pictures would be much easier to deal with (especially when dealing with a lot of raw data).

     - Simon