Tamil 0BB3 and 0BD7

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 13:59:52 EST

    Dear List Members,

    I understand that characters of different scripts, with
    equal appearance are dis-unified and have different
    Unicode codepoints, Latin E vs Greek U+0395 vs
    Cyrillic U+0414 a typical example.

    I also understand that characters of one script having
    equal shapes in some fonts only, e.g. 0 and O are clearly
    not a candidate for sharing a Unicode codepoint.

    Now I'm wondering about Tamil LLA (U+0BB3) and
    Tamil AU Length Mark (U+0BD7). They not only have
    incidental equal shapes in the Font used for preparing
    the Unicode charts, they are also indistinguishable in
    handwritten Tamil, typewriter Tamil etc, I am told.

    So for all purposes:

    U+0B95 U+0BCC which is canonically equivalent to
    U+0B95 U+0BC7 U+0BD7

    looks exactly the same as

    U+0B95 U+0BC7 U+0BB3

    Isn't that a bit odd?

    Giving an analogy using Latin script,
    that would be the same as if Latin y U+0079
    in vocalic and consonantic use were
    mapped to two different Unicode
    codepoints.

    Regards,