RE: Hexadecimal digits?

From: Jill Ramonsky (Jill.Ramonsky@Aculab.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 07:10:58 EST

    Microsoft Windows XP does a pretty good job of natural sort order. For
    example a file called "File99" will sort just before "File100".
    "File99A" will slot between them, but "File992" will go after them. It's
    all pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

    To sort "File10000" immediately after "FileFFFF" could be easily done
    using the a slightly modified form of same algorithm (maybe it would be
    a "tailored sort", I don't know), however the difficulty is in
    distinguishing the two meanings of 'F'. If it were clear that the first
    F was a letter and that the last four Fs were numeric digits with value
    fifteen, then such a sort would be a piece of cake to implement. So, the
    only important detail here is to distinguish number-F from letter-F. The
    rest is just an implementation problem.

    Jill