RE: Hexadecimal digits?

From: Jill Ramonsky (Jill.Ramonsky@Aculab.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 09:25:23 EST

    > Jill Ramonsky wrote:
    > > example a file called "File99" will sort just before "File100".
    > > "File99A" will slot between them, but "File992" will go after
    > > them. It's all pretty much exactly what you'd expect.
    >
    > Really!? Would you not expect 99A to come (much) after 99?!
    > After all, 99A (in hexadecimal) is greater than 99 (hexadecimal).
    >
    > I'm sorry, I could not let this one go ;-).

    Smiley noted, but just for the sake of clarity, you seem to be making
    exactly the same point as me, which of course I don't mind at all. I was
    attempting (and failing, obviously) to explain that "File99A" (where A
    is a letter) should sort into exactly the position that Windows XP put
    it (before File100). However, "File99A" (where A is a hex digit) should
    sort (much) after both "File99A" (where A is a letter) and "File100".
    The only way you can tell "File99(letter)A" apart from "File99(digit)A"
    is by giving the two As different codepoints.

    Jill