Re: Berber/Tifinagh (was: Swahili & Banthu)

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 17:25:09 EST

    Patrick's message on this topic gets to the heart of the issue of why to
    encode Tifinagh (as Tifinagh) in the first place. But I think that
    Philippe's sentiment is not misplaced, if one approaches transliteration on
    the character and not the glyph level, as John and others put it. But
    correspondences between characters or groups of characters (not
    necessarily - and perhaps not possibly in some cases - one-to-one) among
    different scripts are a linguistic issue not a coding one.

    The advantage to clarifying the correspondences among alternative
    transcriptions is indicated in part by Philippe's original concern - people
    who learn Berber (more properly Tamazight, Tamashek, etc.) in one
    transcription but not another. How to facilitate their encounter with the
    diverse renditions of the language? But again it's not a font issue.

    I've thought for instance about the small number of schools here in Niger
    that teach in Tamajak, using the Latin based script and how easy it will or
    will not be for the students to make the connections with the Tifinagh that
    is traditionally used. It would be tidy to have one-to-one correspondences,
    but even if not, some fairly consistent rules would help. I'm not sure the
    extent to which people working on Tamajak in Latin orthography (presumably
    from the spoken language) make reference to traditions of spelling with
    Tifinagh, but it would seem essential.

    And it is perhaps imporant too to take this on a broader scale to understand
    the traditional ways of writing Berber in Tifinagh (and Arabic) and to
    harmonize the Latin transliterations in the region. It may well be that
    aside from whatever complexities there may be on the character-to-character
    level, that there may be different conventions arising in the language(s) as
    written in different scripts - not to mention that there may still be work
    yet to do in standardizing spellings in either script within any given
    variety of Berber. Dealing with such issues would not be served by treating
    Tifinagh as anything less than a script in its own right.

    And as Berber is increasingly used on computers & the internet, it will
    become important to be able to do reliable conversions of text in any of the
    three transcriptions - work towards which may bring up its own set of
    questions. And these would be best dealt with on the character level.

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net