Re: Berber/Tifinagh

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 22:20:13 EST

    Mark Shoulson wrote:

    > > We can't write meta-rules for everything, Curtis. And it isn't a good
    > > use of my time, anyway, to try. "Informed whim" if you will.
    >
    > Whim sounds about right. And this isn't a criticism. I honestly doubt
    > I could satisfactorily defend the choice of unifying French "A" and
    > English "A" but not Russian "A" against a determined Devil's Advocate.

    ISO 8859-5, Windows Code Page 1251, Code Page 855.

    Game, set, match.

    > We wind up like Justice Potter Stewart and pornography: maybe we can't
    > define it, but we know it when we see it. And there will be edge cases,
    > yes, where not all of us agree on seeing it. Whim is all we have to go
    > on; run with it.

    Hardly. What we have is not whim, but a large collection of
    good principles, which sometimes are at odds with each other,
    and which are often difficult to apply systematically in
    particular edge cases. Sorting that out is not a matter of
    whim, in my opinion.

    --Ken