Re: Tengwar digits (was: Hexadecimal digits?)

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@freeler.nl)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 15:02:38 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
    To: "Chris Jacobs" <chris.jacobs@freeler.nl>
    Cc: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 3:10 AM
    Subject: Tengwar digits (was: Hexadecimal digits?)

    > Chris Jacobs scripsit:
    >
    > > How about the elves? I have seen rumours that they write numbers with
    > > the units digit to the left.
    >
    > Not only Elves, but Men as well. I'm hopeful that when Tengwar is
    > encoded, a suitable hack can be found so that the bidi algorithm doesn't
    > have to be changed, and so that the Unicode convention of
    > most-significant-digit-first still works.

    How about a TENGWAR INVISIBLE DECIMAL UNITS DIGIT MARK ?

    Tengwar-unaware applications should just render it visible.
    It would allow tengwar-aware applications to do some extra reordering
    _after_ bidi did its work, rendering the units to the left for a Quenya
    locale, but to the right for a Klingon locale.