Re: Ewellic

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 08:34:39 EST

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > At 04:11 -0800 2003-11-12, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    > >But is this a cipher ("it was intended as a form of secret writing"),
    >
    > No. But it wouldn't be encoded until it got at least as popular as
    Shavian.

    I doubt that ewellic will become more popular than IPA, which has much more
    distinctive glyphs and is then much easier to read (and also to write by
    hand without confusion as the Ewellic glyphs has most of its glyphs that can
    easily be mixed if not drawn with extreme caution, so that half oblique or
    horizontal strokes do not cross by accident the main vertical bar, and these
    qualifying strokes also must use a very precise angle).

    The result is that Exellic will be usable only with some fonts (there's too
    little acceptable variability) and only if rendered machanically or
    electronically. What is strange is that the author says he could use it with
    handwritten script. This requires handwriting skills (possibly artistic
    drawing skills) that very few people have or need to communicate.

    Ewellic may be considered as a (incomplete) cipher of IPA, except for digits
    where it is a cipher of European digits.