Re: Ewellic

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 10:08:28 EST

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>

    > At 14:34 +0100 2003-11-12, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > >I doubt that ewellic will become more popular than IPA
    >
    > No one suggested that it would. IPA, of course, is not a script.

    But is Ewellic a script? Both address a written form of actual pronunciation
    in a particular area, and they do not pretend to be an orthograph (so with
    both IPA and Exellic, the semantic proximity of radicals may be lost, as
    pronunciation aften alters them with lots of variation, even in the same
    language). Even the author of Ewellic says that its purpose is only to mark
    the phonetic of English as he speaks and hears it, but not as others may
    pronounce it, and Ewellic works poorly with other languages (unlike IPA
    which is much more precise)...